Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Lost in a Good Book


The Virgin of Small Plains: A NovelThe Scent of Rain and Lightning: A Novel

I am currently reading a mystery that is so good that I got wrapped up in it and didn't get my blog changed to post it as my "currently reading" book until I was more than half done with it.  It is called The Virgin of Small Plains by Nancy Pickard.  Pickard is a Kansas author who writes the Jenny Cain mystery series.  I like the Jenny Cain books, but this one is better.  Pickard has matured over the years and this book has richness and depth which the Jenny Cain books do not.  The Virgin of Small Plains is more like true literature than a light quick-read mystery (not that there is anything wrong with light books).  I am reading this on my Nook Color and I only miss the smell of the paper pages a little.  A review will (hopefully) be forthcoming.

Next up for me:  The Scent of Rain and Lightning, also a Pickard book, and a recent choice by Barnes & Noble as one of their recommended selections.

No comments:

Post a Comment