Monday, December 21, 2009

Abandoning a Book

I just got a new iPhone, so haven't been doing as much reading lately as I usually do.  Before I got the iPhone, though, I was reading a book which I unfortunately gave up on.  I usually don't give up on a book,  but this was one the was just boring me to tears.  About halfway through, I remembered my wonderful Content Area Reading professor from Wichita State, who advised us that if we are reading for pleasure, it should truly be pleasurable, and not to force yourself to read something that you just aren't enjoying.  I thought to myself, "Stephany, what are you doing?"  The book was An Unsuitable Attachment by Barbara Pym.  I just didn't like any of the characters, let alone care whether any of them had happy endings.  In fact, none of the characters in the book seemed to even like each other.  If the characters don't like each other, how am I supposed to like any of them?  I did peek at the ending (maybe I did care a little?) but abandoned the book.  Now I am reading Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, a YA novel.  I am enjoying it much more than the Barbara Pym novel, although I am not getting through it much faster, because of the new iPhone discussed above.  I love the Kindle app!

No comments:

Post a Comment