Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Recent and Current Reads

I apologize for not posting in a long time, but our internet has been down for about three weeks (long, boring story), but it's back, so here is update of my recent and current reading activity:

Recent Reads:
The Scent of Rain and Lightning: A NovelThe Virgin of Small Plains: A Novel                      
Two books by Kansas author Nancy Pickard:  The Scent of Rain and Lightning: A Novel and The Virgin of Small Plains: A Novel.  It's been awhile since I read them, so they are not fresh enough in my memory to do a full review, but I do know that I like and recommend them.  They are both mysteries.  Nancy Pickard has been writing mysteries for many years, and she has really grown and matured as an author since her Jenny Cain days.













False ColoursThe Talisman RingTwo by Georgette Heyer:  False Colours and The Talisman Ring, delightful as always.  I am almost through all the Regency romances by Georgette Heyer.  What am I going to do when I've finished the last one?  Start over, probably.  These are the most wonderful, cheerful, funny and clean books.  I am so thankful to my friend Sharon for insisting that if I liked Jane Austen I would like Georgette Heyer.














Moon Over ManifestMoon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool, another Kansas author and this year's Newberry Medal winner.  I thoroughly enjoyed this mystery/coming-of-age tale set in the fictional town of Manifest, Kansas.  Abilene Tucker is the delightful heroine of this novel set in 1936, with a parallel story line in 1918, unveiled in newspaper clippings, letters, and the storytelling of the mysterious Miss Sadie, as Abilene works to figure out the relationship between Ned Gillen and Jinx and what they have to do with the past of her father, Gideon Tucker.  Thoroughly enjoyable read.



Speak: 10th Anniversary EditionSpeak: 10th Anniversary Edition by Laurie Halse Anderson.  Novel about the aftermath of a rape of a young girl at a party.  Tough read, but important book.








Currently Reading:


Atlas Shrugged
This is my second time through Ayn Rand's masterpiece about John Galt, the man who said he "would stop the motor of the world, and did."  I am reading this in preparation of the movie Atlas Shrugged: Part I, which is being released (appropriately) on April 15.  If you believe that excessive government, taxes and regulation are damaging to our culture and society, but have a hard time articulating your argument, this is the book for you.  "Who is John Galt?"



Dragonbreath: Curse of the Were-wiener     I am reading the Dragonbreath series with the very enthusiastic Colin right now.  This is the first series of books that has really captured my 6-year-old's imagination.  Thanks to my friend, Wendy, for the recommendation.







Lewis's Mere Christianity (Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis (Paperback - Feb. 6, 2001))Last, but not least, these are the books I'm reading in conjunction with my Sunday School class  and my Tuesday morning Bible study.  We are studying Lewis's Mere Christianity (Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis (Paperback - Feb. 6, 2001)) during Sunday School.  This book was originally given as a series of radio broadcasts, it addresses the central issues of Christianity, building a solid case for why this is the one true faith.




Daniel: Lives of Integrity, Words of ProphecyI have been leading a Tuesday morning Bible Study and we are currently studying Daniel: Lives of Integrity, Words of Prophecy.  This is my second time to do this study, but my first time leading it.  Beth Moore is an awesome teacher and through this workbook and the video sessions that are part of the study, I have learned about the book of Daniel in a rich and deep way and the lessons will stay with me for a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment